What do I need to do for my high mileage vehicle?
At Douglas Automotive Repair, we get asked this question a lot more these days. The median age for vehicles is now over 11 years. Regardless of your reason for keeping your Car or SUV around, the good news is that it’s capable of going 150,000 to 200,000 miles or more with proper care and professional automotive service.
Here are some tips from Douglas Automotive Repair on how to make your car last:
- First, car owners should follow all of their regularly scheduled maintenance routines. Things like oil changes, transmission and cooling system service are essential for avoiding pricey damage. This reduces your overall cost for keeping your Car or SUV for a long time.
- Next, regular inspections are critical for drivers. Look, those parts are starting to get old and will become worn out over the miles. Thorough inspections of various systems will uncover things that are nearing the end of their service life, like suspension, brake and steering components. Replacing worn parts early not only prevents expensive breakdowns, but relieves stress on related expensive components so they will last longer as well.
- Another thing for auto owners to consider is the use of special high mileage fluid formulations. For example, high mileage engine oil has special additives that condition those old seals and gaskets. It also has extra detergents to help keep that older Car or SUV engine clean inside. High mileage oil, transmission fluid, etc. cost a little more but can really head off some of the problems that are typical of older vehicles around Illinois.
- One last thing for car owners would be to consult with us at Douglas Automotive Repair, about the overall condition of your vehicle and your driving routines. It may be advisable to follow your car maker’s severe service schedule.
- Even with the occasional unexpected repair associated with an older Car or SUV, you can still enjoy good, reliable transportation if you take good care of your ride.
Questions on how to maintain your high mileage vehicle? Give us a call today!