If you know someone may drive drunk, you know the importance of intervening before that person gets behind the wheel.
How You Can Intervene
Below are some helpful tips to get the keys away from a drunk driver:
- If the person is a close friend, try to use a soft, calm approach at first. Suggest that they have had too much to drink and it would be better to let someone else drive or to take a cab.
- Be calm. Joke about it. Make light of it.
- Try to make it sound like you are doing them a favor.
- If the person is somebody you don’t know well, speak to their friends and have them make an attempt to persuade the would-be drunk driver to hand over the keys. Usually, they’ll listen.
- If the person is a good friend, spouse or significant other, tell them that if they insist on driving, you are not going with them. Tell them that you will call someone else for a ride, take a cab or walk.
- Locate the person’s keys while they are preoccupied and take them away. Most likely, they will think they’ve lost their keys and will be forced to find another mode of transportation.
- If possible, avoid embarrassing the person or being confrontational. This makes them appear vulnerable to alcohol and its effects.
All of us at Douglas Automotive Repair urge you to drink responsibly and drive safely!
Blood Alcohol Calculator
Use the Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) calculator to see just how little alcohol it takes to put a person over the legal limit.